Thursday, April 29, 2010

summer came like cinnamon, so sweet.


The only constant in life is change....

The seasons are a continual reminder of the beauty in beginnings and the coldness of perpetual endings. A reoccurring pattern of creation and destruction. I gaze out into my backyard and after what seems like a million years of bleak barrenness the tiny place in the world in which I inhabit is alive with color. Wind rustling the greenest of leaves and the smell of sweet flowers fill my being.

It is effortless to fall in love with this earth and I find myself smitten almost every day, no matter the weather, no matter the season. Even in the most frigid of winters when I curse the layers I require to stay alive, I can't help but smile when a snowflake pinches my nose and my surroundings are covered in a quiet blanket of white. I guess it is the unpredictability of the weather and life that intrigues one.

But summer is sweet like cinnamon (although, if you try cinnamon alone it's surprisingly not sweet at all). And just like summer, it needs something to bring out it's sweetness...winter allows us to appreciate the warmth of days spent at the beach and wearing practically nothing (hot damn). Opposites help to make thing comprehendible and are grounds for a wonderful thing called gratitude. Without the bad, you can't really realize how good it can be. Every hero needs its villain!

To put an attitude of gratitude into full swing you have to start thinking gratefully. Recognizing what you are thankful for is seriously the secret to happiness and a fulfilling life. Don't believe me? Just try it--I triple dog dare you. Make a list or just evaluate what makes you smile, really imagine what it is and why you feel so blessed. I guarantee (or your money back) that it will at least boost your mood. Every time I'm feeling a shade of blue, I immediately think intently about all the reasons I am lucky--big and small. It can be as simple as having a bed to sleep in, the sun warming your face, the food on your plate, a loving family, supportive friends, and a place to call home. It's easy to take these kinds of things for granted when they seem so common. We get so wrapped up in our own little worlds that we forget not everyone is as fortunate. Even just having the working legs to stroll down the sidewalk feels like winning the mega millions (which I played and lost last night, booo..haha). But I have my health and agility which is worth a billion times more than rectangles of green.

I can genuinely say that I feel fulfilled every day. I find it has a lot to do with understanding what truly matters in life and not getting caught up in our society of consumerism. "You'll feel GREAT if you BUY this! Buy, Buy, Buy!" Last time I checked (about 2.5 seconds ago) it's not what I purchase that makes me feel great, it's the adventures I take, the people I surround myself with, and when my passions and actions align. There is a vivacious bounce in your stride when you make each step count towards accomplishing your dreams. And although life is unpredictable as the weather, it doesn't mean we can't grab it by the horns and make our aspirations a reality.

So, in the words of Vince Vaughn, "Grab that net and catch that beautiful butterfly". ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment